Thursday, December 19, 2013

Jon Corippo- New Mindsets & Workflows for Common Core

Jon Corippo's presentation was so inspiring! I really enjoyed his talk about the pacing guide and how it never works. His example about when is "Y" used as a vowel was great example. Teachers are so busy trying to cram an abundance of material that they only give an overview of material yet, neglect to teach students with purpose. I think that is a large component of why students are no longer engaged and have difficulty with critical thinking. Their creativity has been taken away by required standards and has been replace with this notion of there only being "one right answer." In addition, Corippo stressed the importance of professional development. This really resonated with me because I feel that many educators that I have come across do not invest enough in this. Professional development can be as small as going to coffee with other educators or connecting with teachers through social media. There is no excuse for teachers not to continue to flourish in their professional life. As Corippo stated, if you are in education to get out of work by 3 then you are in the wrong profession. We as educators cannot motivate, engage, and have students see the value in their education if we do not value our own profession. The last point I would like to make is the importance of making connections whether it is in or outside the classroom. I think that it it is so important for students and teachers to connect with each other. I agree with Corippo's point that we are much more intelligent as a group rather than as individuals. This video really reiterated the  the importance of sharing with other educators.



No comments:

Post a Comment