Monday, November 18, 2013

What Role Will you as a Teacher Play?

In the article Beyond the Book: A New Role for Your Students discusses how a school in Chicago will be using the web to cultivate student creativity and thought. I found that teaching students how to use the web properly and learn how to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources is a vital skill to have. When I was working towards my bachelors degree I had to write endless academic research papers and often times found myself having trouble locating information. If I had acquired the knowledge to properly conduct research using the web prior to attending college it would have made my life a whole lot easier!I also found that the purpose of implementing the web into the classroom aligns with common core standards. Students will be taught to take other perspectives into account rather than taking what is read in the textbook as truth. They will also be able to compare and contrast sources which will help strengthen the writing and reading skills. Many educators may cringe at this idea because it may interfere with what is being taught but I disagree. I feel allowing students to formulate their own ideas by using multiple web sources will not only strengthen their comprehension of material but will also invoke discussion among other students. The teacher's role will be to act as a facilitator and also add to discussion or address any misinterpretations. I feel that the web is a great way to involve all students, but I do find a flaw in this program and that is which students have access. The article stated that this will take place at schools in the suburbs but what about the teachers working in inner-city schools. What role can those teacher play with limited access to the web? How can they incorporate the same techniques as the school in the suburbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment