Friday, November 29, 2013
Khan Academy and the Future of Education
I was very excited to watch Salman Khan's TED talk because I used the KhanAcademy to study for my CSET. While studying for the test I kept thinking to myself how wonderful this site was and if only I had it available to me while I was in school. Though I used it for myself I never really thought about incorporating the site into the classroom until now. This idea of flip teaching and using videos to educate students is a new concept that I had never thought to explore. I am actually very drawn to the idea because it allows students to use various resources to strengthen their comprehension of academic content. I feel that incorporating these tools can only help students to achieve academic success. Having education move towards the route of using academic sites such as the Khan Academy may seem very scary for some educators because they may feel as though technology will interfere with the ways in which they teach. I on the other hand disagree because I feel video, flip teaching, and the Khan Academy are academic tools that should be incorporated in the classroom. Teachers should not think that the Khan Academy will take their place but rather help facilitate a lesson or reiterate any information that a student may have missed. In recent years, education has been moving towards an online education which has contributed to the fears that technology may take educators jobs. It is now possible to earn your bachelors, masters, or even a Ph.D online! I see why many educators are hesitant to use technology in the classroom but I feel that it is necessary. Students need to be exposed to different methods of teaching in order to best determine their learning style. I often times need to hear information more than once for concepts to stick. With flip teaching this is now possible. As opposed to having students reread a chapter in their textbook they can watch a video or even review a lecture from class. I am excited to incorporate technology into my own classroom. I feel that education is moving and will continue to move towards implementing various technologies into the classroom. With that being said, we as educators need to become familiar with these programs. Districts should provide education classes for teachers in order for them to be able to transition into this new form of pedagogy. We also need to address the issue of accessibility. In the TED talk Salman was working with a school in Los Altos which is an affluent area. How can we as educators make these tools accessible to students living in poverty?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too am intrigued by the idea of flip teaching and Khan academy. I had heard of Khan academy before but never really knew what it was. i think flip teaching is definitely something that current and future teachers will use as a supplement to their teaching and i can see it being of great use in the classroom and much appreciated by students.
ReplyDelete